Two Downtown Dobbs Ferry Buildings Sold in 2011


When Mary Fagan left the building, housing her longstanding upholstery business, W.T. Barnes Upholstery, at 32 Cedar Street in Dobbs Ferry on Tuesday, it was for the last time in, unbelievably enough, 61 years. In what is probably one of the oldest, individually run businesses in Dobbs Ferry, W.T. Barnes was shut down and the building’s longtime owner, who gave her age as 80, is finally retiring.
Originally built in 1915, 32 Cedar Street first served as Dobbs Ferry’s telephone operating station and the original plans show an Operating Room, an Apparatus Room and a Locker Room for employees. When the Dobbs Ferry telephone system was modernized, the building was converted to a commercial use; the present upholstery business, originally called Wilmer T. Barnes Upholstery.
Mary began working at that business as a teenager in 1950 and enjoyed it so much that later, she and her husband Donald aquired both the building and the business. They have run it ever since. After coming to work 5 – 6 days a week, thru rain, sleet and snow for over 60 years, it appears that it is now finally time for a rest.
The new owner, an architect, expects to create a live/work/retail space on the 3 full floors, in the loft-like building with 10′ ceilings thru-out, which has property stretching all the way back to Wickers Creek.
It is truly the end of an era on Cedar Street in Dobbs Ferry.
Also see: http://www.randrealty.com/agent/652/Scott-Rosasco/NY/Property/979787/32-Cedar-St-Dobbs-Ferry-NY-10522/

%d bloggers like this: